BUFFALO BOB SEZ
BUFFALO’S THE LAST WALTZ
On Friday, November 17, 2017, the legendary final concert by The Band on Thanksgiving Day in 1976 in San Francisco will be reenacted by an all-star cast of Buffalo and Western New York’s greatest musicians and performers. This theatrical performance will include all the music and the special guest stars from the beloved film directed by Martin Scorsese. This is a Sportsmen’s Americana Music Foundation event, presented in cooperation with Babeville.
This is considered one of the greatest rock concert movies ever made. Several generations of music fans love this concert. And as much as any artists, The Band deserve to be labeled Americana. Since they started just over the border, The Band had Buffalo connections, most notably with the great Stan Szelest, who is honored every year by the SAM Foundation at SzelestFest.
Doug Yeomans is Robbie Robertson, the band leader for the concert. The rest of The Band are: Jim Whitford as Rick Danko, Pete Holquin as Levon Helm, Ron Davis-Garth Hudson and Jim Ehinger-Richard Manuel.
Special guests for the evening will include Buck Quigley, Tom Makar, Dan Delano, Jerry Hall, Sharon Bailey, Rod Nickson, Joyce Wilson Nixon, Erin Benning, Michael McGuire, Leah Zicari, Ted Cacciatore, Eric Crittenden, Frank Grizanti, Joelle Labert, Mark Norris, Kevin Cox, Bill Smith, Matt Harris, Joe Parisi, Al Jaenecki, Harry Fackelman, Phil Knoerzer and The Brothers Blue; Charlie Coughlin, Matt Sperber and Ben Haravitch.
The rehearsals have been going amazingly well, with both the core band and all the guest stars. As this is being written there are still some tickets available but don’t wait too long to get your tickets; you do not want to miss this show! The show is general admission but there will be seating for about half the crowd.
Tickets may be purchased at the Sportsmen’s Tavern, the Babeville Box Office or online at babevillebuffalo.com for an additional fee.
- Steam Donkeys 2nd Annual 25th Anniversary November 24th
- Bill Kirchen’s Holiday Show December 10th
- Buffalo Ironworks:
- Floodwood and PA Line December 7th
- Garrison Keillor with Robin and Linda Williams December 3rd
Arts at the Bakery:
- Guitarists Ben Doerfel and Doug Yeomans November 25th
- Duo of John Lombardo and Mary Ramsey December 16th
Current members can send me an email and tell me which drawings you’d like to be entered into. Deadline is Sunday, November 19th at 9 PM.
President, SAM Foundation
3rd ANNUAL SAM FOUNDATION AWARDS SHOW
On October 16th, we held our 3rd Annual Sportsmen’s Americana Music Foundation Awards Show at the Sportsmen’s Tavern. The tavern was perfectly crowded and a great time was had by all. Our National Spokesman, Bill Kirchen, was there to help hand out the awards and become part of The Twang Gang. Nearly all of the nominees were there, and many of them joined The Twang Gang as the evening progressed. This year, the members nominated all the artists and a ballot was sent out for the members to select the winners as well. There is an incredible amount of talent in WNY, making it difficult for many voting members to pick their favorites.
The Board of Directors chose two of the award winners, as in previous years. Rosemary McLennan was selected as Member of the Year. Dwane Hall was chosen for the prestigious Bill Kirchen Pioneer of the Year award.
Congratulations to all the award winners:
- Best Band: Ten Cent Howl
- Best Male Singer: Mr. Conrad
- Best Female Singer: Kate Clark
- Jim Lauderdale Songwriter: Willie Schoellkopf
In the very near future, many more photos from the Awards Show will appear on our website. Visit us at sportsmensamf.org
President, SAM Foundation
Americana Music Association Announces New Music This Month
Check out these albums on CD, iTunes, Amazon and Spotify
DORI FREEMAN – Letters Never Read
MONOCLE BAND – The Clearing
WILLIE NELSON – Willie and the Boys
NHD – and the Devil Went Up to Portland
PORTER AND THE BLUEBONNET RATTLESNAKES – Don’t Go Baby It’s Gonna Get Weird Without You
MARGO PRICE – All American Made
Our Newest SAM Foundation Partner
Buffalo Distilling Company-show your membership card and receive 10% off all drinks and food.
If you are an Active member and do not have a SAMF membership card, please email me at email@example.com. If you are unsure if you’re an Active member, please don’t hesitate to ask.
NOTE: To receive discounts, you must show your membership card. To enter to win tickets, you must be an Active member. And as always, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the email address above.
DISCOUNTS FOR MEMBERS
The discounts we’ve arranged at this time are:
- Sportsmen’s Tavern – The first Tuesday of every month, all members who show their card at the door will get free admission to The Twang Gang.
- Buffalo Ironworks – 10% off all food items
- Allentown Music – 10% off all regular items
- Smolen/Bonghi CPA – 10% off all tax preparation and accounting services
- Korona Jewelry – 2 discounts
- Watch batteries installed for $5 instead of $7.
- 25% off the regular price of anything in stock.
- Ellicott Small Animal Hospital 30% off regular exam
- Flying Bison Brewery – 10% off
- Buffalo History Museum – buy one regular admission and get one free.
- American Repertory Theater – $10 tickets (1/2 price)
- Red Thread Theater – $15 ticket (regularly $25)
- MusicalFare Theater – $5 off General Admiss. online. Enter SPORTSMEN in coupon code. Limit 4
- Byrd House Restaurant – 10% off food
- Arts at the Bakery – 10% off admission
- Buffalo Distilling – 10% off food and drinks
- Kissing Bridge Discount Pass – offer expires Nov 13 – info sent in email to members